The action or process of formally consulting or discussing.
We believe consultation is key, it is not done through talking in a mirror or simply saying “what colour do you want” or “same again”
Sitting face to face mirroring body language and making good eye contact are just the start. A warm welcome to reassure the clients if they are nervous always gives a great first impression.
A perfect salon consultation is not easy, the team member need to analyse a lot of information quickly, they need to listen, they need to understand the requirements and they need to confirm back in detail what they are planning to do.
They need to use visuals and even videos in some cases.
* Using your name and introducing themselves
* Ask open ended questions. How much time do you spend on your hair/what is it you want to achieve with your desired look.
* Ask about the best and worst hair styles they have had, also ask how brave they are feeling
* Listen and not hear, these are 2 very different things
* Make suggestions, show images, we try to avoid using the colour chart as this will lead the client into a colour frenzy as they will not understand how it works (it is not a colour lesson after all)
* Confirm back what is decided and get clients to agree to all that was spoken about in the consultation
* Explain the life cycle of the hair, what products to use and how to use them. Always re-book as this creates a consistency for the client and hairdresser.
We say a good consultation should last around 15 minutes, the aim of the consultation is to get as much information on the clients hair as possible to create a colour/cut they are happy with. If we don’t listen and ask about the history of your hair you will not be happy with the outcome.
So the next time you are in the hair salon and your hairdresser says “same again?” are you really getting what you paid for? Is this what you want from your hairdresser?
Your hair is not a hat you can take on and off so invest and find a great hairdresser.
Star Salon Team x